Sustainability and Safety:Doing what’s rightfor our community, our employees, our customers and the planet.
At HSC, we make it a top priority to handle the raw materials we use and the products we make in a way that puts sustainability and safety first. Our customers know that the products they buy from Hemlock Semiconductor are always properly packaged and documented to identify any hazards or potential safe use issues.
Our continuous efforts tosafeguard our planetand community include:
- Energy reduction – We are relentless in our efforts to reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by reducing natural gas and electricity consumption.
- Hazardous waste reduction – Minimizing hazardous waste generation is a critical part of our commitment to the communities where we live and work.
- Water conservation – We continuously assess our water usage and seize opportunities to recycle and reclaim water.
- Recycling – If materials can be recycled, we do it. Since 2008, we have recycled an average of 8.4 million pounds (3,810 metric tons) of materials per year.
- Decarbonizing polysilicon production – We have aggressively improved our energy efficiency and energy management to reduce our carbon footprint.
HSC is a clean corporate citizen
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy has designated HSC as a Clean Corporate Citizen (C3) due to our sustainability and safety efforts. To earn C3 status, companies must display facility-specific environmental management systems, active pollution prevention initiatives and a consistent record of compliance with state and federal environmental requirements.
Learn More About OurSustainability Efforts
- Our Sustainability Report focuses on key steps in HSC’s ongoing efforts to make our business operations more sustainable and on our success in reducing embodied carbons across the solar supply chain.
- Read our white paper, Powering the Future: Harnessing Industrial Demand Flexibility to Reduce Emissions and Integrate Renewables, to learn how we teamed up with nonprofit, WattTime, and utility, Consumers Energy, to reduce emissions. If materials can be recycled, we do it. Since 2008, we have recycled an average of 8.4 million pounds (3,810 metric tons) of materials per year.
Ensuringsafety and securityat every step.
On site, in our community, through the contractors we choose – HSC is committed to safety in every facet of our operations, including:
- Management Commitment – Our management is committed to meeting the codes and requirements of Responsible Care®.
- Zero Lost Time Injury Focus – The safety of our employees is paramount. “Zero is the only acceptable number” is our mindset for long-term safety success.
- Active Contractor Participation – Our contractors and other third-party organizations must meet our high safety standards to keep our workplace safe for everyone.
- Community Involvement – We promote safety awareness through activities in the community, including our Community Advisory Panel, outreach activities and close cooperation with emergency responders.
- Neighborhood Open House – Our closest neighbors visit for tours, general safety education and learn about our community warning system.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response – We work with and equip local firefighters to ensure close communication and response coordination. Learn more about our community warning system.
- Transportation Safety – The safe movement of raw materials and finished products is critical. Our entire transportation fleet exceeds government standards and requirements from the time raw materials leave supplier facilities to the time they reach customer locations.
- Process Safety Management – Strict process guidelines allow us to safely and effectively respond to emergency situations and ensure that what we use to make our products stays within our process systems.
Quality, Environment, Health & SafetyCertifications.
Our quality, sustainability and safety efforts have earned us the following International Standard Organization (ISO) certifications: